Wednesday 13 February 2013

Crafty Snippet - Week 59

I am so annoyed right now... my "T" key tried another flying lesson, and the hinge is broken completely now :( It's so difficult to type!

Still, I have finished a few projects this past week, including a box I made for my In-Laws letters (their story briefly told here on WOYWW #192).  The box itself is made from left-over chipboard (which I have only just discovered that we Brits call "greyboard") apart from one piece of 12x12" I needed for the lid top. All the metalwork - hinges, latch, corners, etc were leftovers from when I made a suitcase project, the inside ripped-page detail was leftovers from a few recent projects, the ModPodge is still the pot of mixed leftovers I have been using, and even the paint I used for the outside edges is a pot left over from some miniature painting I had done. I bought a pad of 12x12" patterned papers for another project, but didn't use them in the end  and thought this sheet of black with the white writing would be perfect. So, apart from the one greyboard sheet and the patterned paper... this is another project made from leftover snippets - perfect for an entry into Di's challenge "Crafty Snippets" over at Pixies Crafty Workshop.
(Just a quick word of warning - the girls over there are such a fun-loving bunch you'll soon be a member of their gang and addicted to Di's blog *lol*)
The finished chest

All the metalware was already in my stash, lefover from previous projects

The inner is decorated with torn pages - I've so much of this left, it will probably appear in many more projects yet!

Left-over paint - messy, but cheap :)
I should add that this was probably one of my quicker projects, taking me just one night to complete. I was going to add more to the finished chest - brads that look like screws, some cardboard decorative hinges detailed with silver embossing powder... but in the end, I liked it just as it stands :)
The bottom of the box has felt-covered brads as 'feet' to protect any surface it stands on... these were leftovers too :) though it took a lot of rummaging to find four matching ones.

12 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This is the most gorgeous use of snippets!!! Wow!!! This box looks fabulous!

Sandra said...

You really are so very very creative, another fabulous project :)

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous box - perfect to keep those letters in. I love the colour and the lining too. Elizabeth xx

MaryH said...

Your box is lovely, just as it is. What a wonderful receptacle for those treasured letters. That was such a beautiful story. TFS

Carol L said...

You've really taken snippets to another level with this beautiful treasure box! I love the script! NJ!

Di said...

Absolutely brilliant! What a lovely use of snippets as well as a great way to store those precious letters. Love it Sheleen. Hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

Hi Bubbles . . . WOW this is so cool and elegant. You have made great use of your snippets.

Now stop sticking things down and come play on the swings.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Irene said...

Hello Bubbles,

I am gobsmacked and speechless as your box is stunning and gorgeous.
You are so talented and clever.

Thank you for your comment on my blog.
luv
irene
xxxx

Darnell said...

Wow. That's sort of all I can think to say, I'm that gob-smacked. Wow! This is just precious!

I enjoyed your WOYWW post, too, Bubbles. Thanks for coming by to visit the Playhouse already! I hope you have a wonderful week! Darnell #46

Cathy said...

Wow! This is an amazing treasure chest! I love all of the details :)

Jules said...

What a wonderful little treasure chest .. .. so special and beautiful!

I also loved the story behind the letters too. I went back to read about them.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Love Jules xx


Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic!!
xx